Mirror Mirror on the Wall
Written for: Coven Life
On: May 5th 2018
By: Hypatia of Alexandrea
Continuing on with tools of the trade, or the Craft should I say.
In the previous lessons in Making Tools and your spiritual Journey we covered the reverence of space and respect needed to make these sacred objects, ones that will assist you on your Magickal Journey. Please review if need be on Coven Life web site.
Allow yourself time and space to be creative by adding to your Witches armamentarium.
All good things take time, time to make, time to collect, and the right time to make such as certain moon phases or even planet and other star alignments. I have known people to take years to make a tool. This does not need to be the case with you, however the more energy you weave through it the more of a Magickal significance it will have to you and the reason you choose to use it for, Just like the incredible Magick that is weaved into tapestry, carpets, quilts, clothing for war that was made by the women throughout the ages to protects their loved ones from harm.
In this Lesson we will continue with scrying.
This is a technique where with practice one becomes better. Others are born with the sight and scrying allows one to hone in on that sight, others need to practice and become better equipped with this skill as time goes on. Either Way, it is an invaluable tool to possess.
Through scrying we can tap into the sacred knowledge of all mankind. Scrying is best done when the sun has completely descended and the moon is at her peak.
Learn to work with the Earth and her phases, both the masculine and feminine energy that is needed to weave such Magick. Use the energy that descends from the Cosmos and bring it into your working space. Use the energy that ascends from the Great Earth Mother and use it ground yourself. This can be done as a daily ritual too.
As a Witch you have been gifted with the ability to harness from this universal energy. However do keep in mind that this is ONLY to be used for the greater good, this does not include personal gains. Please refer to previous lesson on how to harness this energy and the importance of purity of thought and deed when using it. Use your gift wisely!
A shiny piece of obsidian palm stone used for scrying is perfect!
Just like a crystal ball and water, anything that lends a reflective surface can be used for scrying.
Making your own mirror can also be a great deal of fun. This is best prepared during the waning of the full moon, so ensure the materials are gathered before that time.
Ideally leave it for one whole moon cycle before scrying.
You will need:
- Photo frame with backing, choose any size you desire, smaller ones are great to carry around with you, larger ones can be displayed in the home. This will get the visitors talking! Start small and if you feel it works for you than go ahead and make a larger one.
- Non aerosol, black high gloss paint
- Dried herbs that will enhance your psychic ability such as dragons’ blood, hyssop, orris root, mugwort, or whatever herb you choose during your research. There are a number of psychic herbs, I personally use mugwort and jasmine flower (all dried and crushed well in a mortar and pestle).
- Disposable mixing container
- Paint brush
Mix the paint and herbs together. Ensure there is not too much of the herb mix that will interfere with the final glossy finish, just enough to create the texture yet still somewhat smoothed out.
While mixing, visualize the light of the moon and say:
By the Moon’s darkest light
Perception of the night
Become part of my skills
And thus banish all ills.
- Paint inside of the glass using long brush strokes.
- Cover the surface completely leaving no gaps.
- When completely dry, place the backing back on the frame.
- Leave your mirror outside in the moonlight for as long as you can, then keep it covered by a dark cloth. I even like to put a piece black silk over mine.
Note: Such mirrors can also be used to deflect negativity back to where it belongs. If it ever needs to be used for this purpose, it needs to be reconsecrated if it is to be used for scrying again. It might be best to keep a separate mirror for such purpose.
Please look up consecrating your sacred objects on Coven Life search if not sure.
In the up and coming lessons I will be talking about using your mirror for protection of personal space and finding lost objects.