March rolls in like the proverbial lion, and if we’re really lucky, it might go out like a lamb. It’s the time of the Storm Moon, the month when Spring finally arrives, around the time of the Equinox, and we see new life begin to spring forth. As the Wheel of the Year turns once more, heavy rains and gray skies abound — the earth is being showered with the life-giving water it needs to have a fertile and healthy growing season.
This is also a time of equal parts light and darkness, and so a time of balance.
Depending on where you live, this moon may be called the Seed Moon, Lenten Moon, or Chaste Moon. Polly Taskey at Pagan by Design says, “Anglo-Saxons called it Hraed-monat (rugged month), or Hlyd-monat (stormy month). A stormy March was an omen of poor crops, while a dry March indicated a rich harvest. Some books refer to February as the “Storm Month,” however, I find this inaccurate. Where I live, March often IS stormy, and as the old wives tale goes, “in like a lion, out like a lamb.”
As always, your March might not see the same weather as other people’s, because your environment depends on a number of factors. If you need to adapt March’s magical correspondences to those of a different month, then feel free to do so.
- Colors: Green, yellow, light purple
- Gemstones: Bloodstone, aquamarine
- Trees: Dogwood, honeysuckle
- Gods: Isis, the Morrighan, Artemis, Cybele
- Herbs: High John, pennyroyal, wood betony, apple blossom
- Element: Water
Storm Moon Magic
Use this month for magical workings related to rebirth and regrowth. New life is blooming during this phase of the moon, as is prosperity and fertility. Here are some things you can do this month – because really, it’s all about planning ahead:
- Begin planning your magical herb garden for the year. What would you like to grow? Consider whether you want specifically medicinal and healing herbs, or if you’re going for a variety of magical purposes.
- Are you thinking about making a change in your career? Now is the time to tidy up that dusty resume and get it up to date. Start researching the companies you’d really like to work for, and figure out what you need to do to make it happen. Make phones calls, network, send in applications, and take control of the reinvention of your career.
- Got a storm rolling in? Place a jar or bucket outside so you can gather rain water for use in ritual. Bonus magical points to you if it’s collected during a lightning storm!
- Spring seems to be a time of year when many of us start thinking about going back to school in the fall – that’s partly because for many colleges and universities, this is the season when they are finalizing acceptances. If you’re thinking about continuing your education, get those admissions forms competed!
- If you’ve ever thought about changing your life, especially by making big changes, now is the time to plant the seeds for those efforts.
- Place your magical tools outside for cleansing during the Storm Moon.
Article published on ThoughtCo