The Cosmic Cookie Trail led me to the following information today. You can sign up for a free online course on using dowsing rods for other things besides finding water! Here is part of what they had to say:
Tonight is not only time for New or Dark Moon magic, it is also a Lunar Eclipse. With that in mind, I wanted to remind you that spells and/or rituals will be strong than usual and a different type of energy will be at work. Spellwork under an eclipse should only be done by witches with advanced training as it takes a lot more focus and intention to have the spell work hopefully right than most beginners to The Craft have learned to do. Also just because you are an experienced witch does not guarantee your spell working properly when done under a Lunar Eclipse. Beginner/novice witches would better use this time in a mediation session inside a sacred circle.
Besides the informational posts the follow this one, here is a link for a general search on Google for lunar eclipse spells and magic: https://www.google.com/search?q=lunar+eclipse+spells&oq=lunar+eclipse+spells&aqs=chrome..69i57.13703j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Eclipses are opportunities for major transformation; this is a time when the energies of the lunations ar more amplified and focused.
Solar eclipses always occur on the New Moon, and Lunar eclipses occur on the Full Moon. The eclipses reflect the lunation they correspond to, but they’re much more intense and their effects are more long-lasting, so it is a powerful time for rituals of transformation and release.
Eclipse Meditation Ritual
You will need:
a white candle
purified or spring water
small pieces of paper and pen
Take a ritual bath (add hyssop and lavender if you have it, salt if you do not) and visualize yourself releasing any blocks and fears, and affirm that you are ready to take yourself to the next level, and face the truth with an open heart and mind.
After your bath, sit in front of your altar, and do some basic grounding and rhythmic breathing. (You can ground by imagining your spine growing roots that grow down into the earth, and with each inhale, breathe in the energy from the core of the Earth… with each exhale, release anything you need to release, i.e. fears, doubt, sadness, apathy, etc. The earth can turn almost anything into fertilizer, so transform your “negatives” into something you can use!)
Pour the salt into the water, and clear yourself with it by lightly sprinkling yourself and annointing yourself with it.
Light your candle. Meditate on the symbolism of the flame, that fire transforms and illuminates, and stare into the flame for a while, and ask for clarity and truth during this eclipse cycle. Give yourself permission to release any and all thought formsthat no longer serve your highest good.
1.a. What area of my life needs some new ideas and a fresh perspective?
b. Write it down on a small piece of paper, and create an affirmation supporting your new goal.
2.a. How can I break through restrictive “safe” constructs, to be fully alive and, like the Phoenix, be reborn thru transformation?
Repeat step “b”.
Save those pieces of paper for later.
3. Write down on the remaining pieces of paper (one at a time) what keeps you from achieving the goals you are after… focus on it, then say something like:
“All energy is neutral. I now release and transform this energy into an energy source that can be utilized for the highest good for all concerned (or “in the name of Goddess / Universe /
God / Creator” etc.)
Burn the paper, focusing on the transformation of the energy.
When you feel like you’re clear, thank the Deities, energies, spirits, guides, angels, etc. you’ve worked with, and bury the ashes in the earth, and imagine your goals for transformation fulfilled. Blessed Be.
The use of symbols can sometimes help make a spell more powerful… let your imagination guide you as you set up your personal lunar altar.
– use white or silver candles and altar cloths
– Lunar Goddesses: Isis, Artemis, Diana, Hecate, Kwan Yin
– Lunar Herbs: mugwort, camphor, sandalwood
-Lunar Metal: silver
– Lunar Stones: moonstone, selenite, pearl, mother of pearl, sapphire
– draw the symbol for the Moon on your candles
– make a medicine bag representing what you want to transform and consecrate it; carry your medicine bag next to your skin
– tell no one about your spell work!
– make a strong floor wash out of mugwort and a pinch of camphor, and clean ritual area and psychic tools with it.
The magic of the moon is something that many modern Pagans find compelling. After all, for thousands of years the moon has been a source of folklore, myth and legend. One of the most intriguing aspects, from a magical perspective, is that of a lunar eclipse. Since the moon doesn’t emit any light of its own, what we see if it in the night sky is sunlight reflected off the lunar surface. A lunar eclipse occurs when the earth’s shadow blocks the sun’s rays, causing it to appear temporarily darkened. Unlikewith a solar eclipse, which can only be seen in a few parts of the world as it happens, a lunar eclipse can be spotted by anyone on the nighttime side of the planet.
There are actually three different types of eclipses. A penumbral eclipse takes place when the moon passes through only the outer edges of the earth’s shadow, or penumbra – it’s often very subtle and many people don’t even notice it. A partial eclipse involves part of the moon traveling through the earth’s umbra, which is the more direct, centralized part of the shadow.
Because the earth, sun and moon don’t form a direct line during a partial eclipse, we’re often still able to see the moon in the sky during one of these events.
The total eclipse is what we see when the earth’s shadow completely blocks the moon, and it goes fully dark for a period of time. Many times, the moonappears to be a reddish or bloodlike color as theevent takes place. This is what many people think of when they hear the words “lunar eclipse,” and it has been a harbinger of major events in many cultures for a long time. Let’s look at some of the myths, legends and magic that surround the phenomenon of the lunar eclipse.
- Christopher Columbus knew that a lunar eclipse was coming in February 1504, thanks to his handy-dandy almanac. He used this knowledge as a way to scare Jamaican natives into offering food and shelter to his men, telling their chieftain that God was angry that the natives wouldn’t help him. He said that God would turn the moon blood red, and then make it go away completely, as a way of expressing his displeasure. Sure enough, the moon disappeared, and there was a great deal of terror among the locals. Right as the eclipse was about to end, Columbus said that God was going to forgive the natives as long as they kept the sailors fed. The moon reappeared, and Columbus and his men ate well until the next Spanish ship arrived.
- A tribe in Benin, Africa, sees the lunar eclipse as a period of battle between the sun and the moon, and chants and dances are done to encourage reconciliation in the sky. They use this time as a way of resolving quarrels amongst themselves, much as the sun and moon resolve their feud at the end of the eclipse.
- In the Norse eddas, a monster named Managarmr, the Moon Hound, swallows up the moon and stains the skies with blood during Ragnarok. According to the Gylfaginning, Managarmr is also known as Hati Hróðvitnisson, and is the son of Fenrir, the grey wolf, and a giantess.
- Some practitioners see the eclipse period – which is generally pretty short – as being the equivalent of an entire lunar cycle packed into one brief event. After all, the moon has the appearance of waxing, waning and reappearing during an eclipse.
In some modern magical traditions, a lunar eclipse is considered a sort of metaphysical bonus round – in other words, any spellwork you do during this period is amplified and has a bit of extra power behind it.
Lately, a few people seem to have latched onto the idea that it’s just plain dangerous to perform magic during a lunar eclipse, especially if you’re a “newbie Pagan.” There is absolutely no logical basis for this theory. If you’re worried enough about the state of your psyche that you believe it could be somehow damaged by doing magic during an eclipse, then you need to either (a) not do magic at all, or (b) learn how to ground, center and shield so you won’t self-sabotage any workings you do.
So, what kind of workings should you focus on during an eclipse? Well, remember, an eclipse only takes place during the full moon phase of the lunar cycle, so this is a good time to do rituals focused on personal growth and spiritual development. Some examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Spells related to increasing your intuitive awareness and psychic ability
- Healing magic or rituals
- Rituals that connect you closely with deity, such as Drawing Down the Moon
- Any working related to developing your magical skills
- Rituals that honor lunar gods and goddesses – now is a really good time to make an offering to them!
Finally, remember that even if an eclipse is taking place where you can’t see it – it’s raining, there’s a cloud cover, or you’re just stuck inside for some reason – you can still take advantage of its power and energy. It’s out there and it’s happening, so make the most of it and use it to your own benefit.
This article by Patti Wigington can be found at this link: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/moonphasemagic/fl/Lunar-Eclipse-Magic-amp-Folklore.htm
Understanding the meaning of a lunar eclipse
A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon and a lunar eclipse can only occur on a Full Moon, a very special Full Moon. You can understand the power of a lunar eclipse with this parallel, if a Solar eclipse challenges your logic and your authority in your life a lunar eclipse will challenge your emotional readiness for a change. During a lunar eclipse a witch will face his/her insecurity, you must not only be able to imagine that a change can occur and what will this change bring but you must also have the willpower to proclaim: “I am ready and perfectly prepared for this change and I will make it happen”. A lunar eclipse is the perfect timing to face the past and find out the roots of your fears/insecurities, how they are linked to you, your emotions and your current state of being. To that personal journey you are advised to seek the guidance of your allies: angels, fairies, ghosts of loved ones, your higher self, the God(s) that will help you in your quest for truth and the time of the eclipse is perfect for that as it will allow you to contact ‘other worlds” and “other states of being”.
Spellcasting during an eclipse
This article is informative as well as interesting.